We outline on this page a basic, quick guide and overview for Landlords, to explain what is typically involved with letting property. If you need any further information or advice, please donít hesitate to contact us.

Landlord Guide

Request a free valuation

If you'd like one our specialist managers to conduct a valuation or review of your property, please click here to request a free valuation.

Back to top


Advertising Only Service ( £150.00 + Vat )

  • Advertise your property on all of our Exclusive Portals to find a suitable Tenant
  • Zoopla, Letting Web, On the Market, Gumtree & our state-of-the-Art Website
  • All prospective clients are passed directly to you so you can carry on managing the property.

Let Only Services (1 months Rent + Vat )

  • Rental Valuation & Inspection
  • Professional Advertising Pictures
  • Advice to landlords on furnishings, health and safety issues and any maintenance recommendations.
  • Advertising & Marketing your property on our State of the Art website, UK's leading property portals, emailing and sms message details to all potential applicants
  • We accompany all viewings wherever possible
  • Extensive referencing of tenants who wish to rent your property, via Rent4Sure
  • Preparation of Inventory
  • Preparation of the tenancy agreement/s.
  • Collection of initial rent and deposit.
  • Deposit Registration for Landlord and certificate for Tenant
  • Setting up standing order mandate for future rent subject to tenancy commencing.

Full Management Service (Letting Fee £300 + Vat + commission)

includes all of the above

  • Arranging maintenance.
  • Dealing with day to day tenant problems that may arise.
  • Transfer of utility accounts, electric, gas, council tax and water.
  • Closing inspection and check out at end of tenancy.
  • Organising return of deposit subject to the property being returned in a satisfactory condition.
  • Dealing with all rent arrears chasing
  • Look to find suitable new tenants prior to expiry of the existing tenancy.

Landlord Requirements

Landlord Registration (Agency Registration 16222/355/30370)

Before you can rent out your property you have to register with the local council which covers the area where your let property is located.

Registering before you rent out your property makes sure you meet the minimum legal requirements.

You can register on line by visiting https://www.landlordregistrationscotland.gov.uk/

Or by contacting the Housing Strategy Team on

Housing strategy team

Telephone: 01896 661392

Fax: 01896 662765

Address: Council Headquarters

Newtown St. Boswells



Private Residential Tenancy

Any new tenancy starting on or after 1 December 2017 will be a private residential tenancy guide lines can be found at


Property Compliance

Significant changes introduced in recent times are transforming landlord regulations and responsibilities

Are you compliant with the latest landlord requirements? Failure to comply could result in hefty fines or a loss of your rights as a landlord.

See below for landlord compliance list to ensure you are up to date with your legal obligations.

Energy Performance Certificate

Landlords are legally obliged to provide an Energy Performance Certificate before a tenant moves in, either during the viewing or at least before the tenancy agreement is signed. A copy of the certificate must be given to any tenant who moves in to the property. Certificates are valid for ten years but the property should be reassessed if there have been any major changes since the last evaluation, particularly in the light of the introduction of new minimum standards.

Please read attached guidelines

ECIR Electrical Safety Certificate

From 1st December 2015, private landlords are responsible for ensuring that an electrical safety inspection of their property is carried out by a registered electrician at least every five years and a copy is provided to the tenant on the day of signing

Landlord Gas Safety Certificate

A Gas Safety Certificate must be carried out annually by a Corgi Registered Engineer a copy must be provided to the tenant on the day of signing and all copies must be retained for up to 5 years

CO2 Alarm fitted (with gas)

Since October 2013 Scottish building regulations have required CO detectors to be fitted when a new or replacement boiler or other fixed heating appliance is installed, irrespective of tenure. Since December 2015 a CO detector has been required in any private rented housing with a carbon fuelled appliance

Legionnaires Risk Assessment

All landlords are responsible to ensure that a Full Legionnaires Risk assessment has been completed to there property prior to Letting.

guidance for Legionnaires can be found here

Mains or Battery operated Smoke Alarms & Heat Detectors must be fitted as required to the Hallway upstairs/Downstairs, Lounge Area and the heat detector in the kitchen area

All of the above can be arranged through Catford Investments Ltd a price list is available on request please ask a member of staff who will be happy to assist you.

Council Tax/Utilities

Once a Tenancy has been signed the tenant will be responsible for the Council Tax and all utilities from the date of signing our team will ensure that all of the utility companies are advised once signed.

Proof of Ownership

Documentation will be requested for proof of ownership of your property this can be covered by Title Deeds, mortgage documents or a letter from a Solicitor

Consent to Let

Landlords are required to provide Catford Investments with consent or delegated authority from all owners, mortgage lenders or other relevant parties before letting out your property.

Building Insurance

Relevant Insurance cover must be place and a copy provided to Catford Investments Ltd prior to the letting of your property.

Identity Checks

An official form of identification is required by all landlords to be provided to

Catford Investments Ltd ;

  • Copy of Passport
  • Driving Licence
  • Proof of Address (Bank statement or Utility bill)

Terms of Business

Once we have discussed the level of service you require, we will provide you with our terms of business each copy must be signed and witnessed, you will have time to ask any questions and to discuss any changes that you feel are required. A copy of this document will be held on file and copy will be for you to keep.

Professional Indemnity & Client Money Protection Insurance

Catford Investments Ltd are covered annually by Lonsdale Insurance Brokers Ltd a recommended source through CLA (council of Letting Agents), our policy number is TPOBB0290/18875 a copy of our cover is available on request

Letting Agent Registration Number

Catford Investments Ltd display our Letting Agent Registration on all stationery including our To Let Boards LARN1812032 our team have been trained at CIH Level 3 for Letting & Managing Residential Property, through this we adhere to the Code of Practice (a copy can be provided on request) for further details


First Tier Tribunal

First Tier Tribunal was formed to deal with derminations of rent or repair issues in Private Sector Housing, more information can be found at https://www.housingandpropertychamber.scot/

4. Buy Let Investments Sales Inhouse (Upfront fee of £250 + Vat)

Catford Investments Ltd offer an Exclusive In house Buy to Let Service to our clients for more information please call our sales team on 01450 375010.

Whether you are new to the Buy to Let Market or looking for an Exit Strategy our Team can guide through the process

Our In house service offer an extensive list of Buy to Let investors within in the UK and overseas

Has your property's value increased? Call 01450 375010

©Catford Investments Ltd | Sitemap | Terms | Privacy